18 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
This is a very well-known passage and quoted a lot. But it's so powerful every time I read it. It has three parts to it. First, Jesus sets up by declaring that He has been given ALL ultimate authority. I'm stating the obvious, but when someone is given authority, everyone is expected to follow and listen to that person. With His authority made clear, Jesus then gives a powerful commission: to make known His name to the ends of the earth and to teach what He has taught during His stay on earth. The Great Commission. This is the job that Jesus left us with. And as His authority is unmistakable, our lives must revolve around this commission. Finally, Jesus knows that many times it will be difficult to stay committed to the task. There will be persecution. There will be distraction. There will be doubt. Thus He says the last part, "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." He gives us comfort with His promise that He will never desert us, wherever we may be.
I'm in Philadelphia right now. In a ballin' hotel. With the heater blasting. Because it is flippin' cold. And I had a genuine Philly cheesesteak :)
All glory, honor, power is Yours, Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment