Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Catch-up on 1 Corinthians

I was a little behind in my daily reading.  So I ended up finishing 1 Corinthians today.  This may be a long post, as many things struck out to me as I read.

1 Corinthians 5: 9-11 | Teaching on so-called brothers
9 I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people;
10 I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world.
11 But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler - not even to eat with such a one.

This was a bit of a shock to me.  Paul explicitly states that one should not associate with a brother who calls himself Christian but still acts in immoral ways.  Not even eat with him!  I was taken aback because the center of Jesus' ministry was love.  Didn't Jesus try to love everyone, maybe save the Pharisees?  But it does make sense.  Such "Christians" give Christianity a bad name, and those outsiders who observe these "Christians" doing immoral things get the idea that Christianity condones such behavior.  I guess in a way, they resemble Pharisees - acting in a way that doesn't reflect their allegiance to God.  I leave this passage still a bit confused as to how I should approach such "Christians."  I encounter quite a few of them in my daily life.

1 Corinthians 9: 18-23 | For the sake of the gospel
18 What then is my reward?  That, when I preach the gospel, I may offer the gospel without charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel.
19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more.
20 To the Jews I became a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law;
21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law.
22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some.
23 I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it.

To bring people to Christ, Paul adapts to the people he is ministering to.  This is a key element in evangelism.  One of the missionary families that our church sent out, Kim MSN's family, practices this idea.  They currently live in Indonesia.  But since the majority of the people there are Muslim, Kim MSN's family decided to cut pork from their diet.  They also do not attend church, but instead worship by themselves quietly on Sundays.  Like Paul, we must be able to do all things - to change, to adapt, to empathize - for the sake of the gospel.  But of course, as Paul clearly writes, we must do so while under the law of Christ, not overstepping our boundaries as Christians.

1 Corinthians 10: 13 | Temptation
13 No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.

Temptation to sin is difficult to overcome.  Sometimes, it seems impossible to fight.  Everyone can attest to that.  But temptation is not a sin in and of itself.  It is giving into that temptation that is sin.  It is important to know that God does not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can handle.  We have it in us - through the help of the Spirit - to withstand every type of temptation that attacks us daily.  Even knowing this, I fail many times.  I must pray more earnestly!  I need the shield and sword of God.

1 Corinthians 15: 32-33 | The mentality of the world
32 If from human motives I fought with wild beasts at Ephesus, what does it profit me?  If the dead are not raised, LET US EAT AND DRINK, FOR TOMORROW WE DIE.
33 Do not be deceived: "Bad company corrupts good morals."

This was interesting to me, because this is the mentality of many unbelievers.  Live it up, party hard, have no regrets, for death is the end.  This is what makes us different from them.  We believe in the resurrection of Christ and the future resurrection of our souls.  Without believing in that, we would be living without conscience like the rest of the world.  Paul warns us not to be swayed by the lifestyle of the unbelievers.  Though it may look appealing, their treasure in heaven is barren.  We must remain steadfast and take joy in knowing Christ our Lord.

1 Corinthians 7 | Teaching on marriage
Paul talks in-depth about marriage, and brings up many important points.  For the future! ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment